Lost in translation

Probably not translation per se but aren't we all lovely at making appropriate puns.

Foremost as a headlight to this blog, it is important that one should know a little of the barrier between cultures, in particular the area bridged by the usage of a language and the proper application of its idiosyncrasies.

Imagine a Malaysian auntie who speaks Manglish, (MAlaysianeNGLISH), and a British auntie who speaks English (probably accented with some heavy Mancunian; "Are you all right there?!"). They both can communicate if they wanted to. For example if the British lady, let's name her Mrs. Jones, wish to purchase a durian from the auntie, who we shall name Ah Wong Tai, she can just about convey her intentions using words that both of them understand and the durian may then be purchased.

Sure, both cultures can liase (and probably haggle) when they meet but can they develop a rapport using a tongue that looks the same but waggles in a different way?
And I'm not just talking about the accent, because everybody has one("CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE THE PAINT IS?" <--Russell Peters inside joke.) but take into account the idiosyncrasies of their individual verbal communication. The expressions, the facets, the flavour of how we speak, all are hindrances to rapport building.

IT WAS ALL THE TOWER OF BABEL's FAULT!


In laymen terms, we have different wavelengths. So how do we work this conundrum out? In another world perhaps, I would be more than happy to not do anything about it. But in this world, I plan to have a career in a country not my own. And thus I believe that I have a little responsibility at least to adapt myself to another man's house when I enter it.


However. I am finding it difficult to do so, especially when it is oft reciprocated negatively. So I'll say screw it and good night. Talk to you later TTYL.


Malaysia boleh FTW.

And I'm still in Blackburn, where the winds blow strongly and make howling noises.